Saturday, July 21, 2012

Nancy by the Sea

so I got this big amber bottle of tequila
and I named it Nancy
so I could drown some bad ideas for awhile

Nancy said
'you realize bad ideas tend to tie
floaters to their heads'

she was right of course
but I always preferred self-destruction
over conversation anyways

I took Nancy to the beach
so we could listen to the boats
smash up on the rocky shore

and laugh as the sailors fell in
thrashing about the water
like parasites

Nancy knew all the best dirty jokes
and recited them one after the other
until we were both rolling on the ground
clutching our sides

Nancy tasted of gasoline and cigarette butts
and had this tendency to make my head spin
but she was still the best company I had all week

Nancy suggested we get naked
and run into the surf
it seemed like a good idea at the time

I was always a fan of nudity
and doomed attempts at fun
so I flung my clothes over the railing
and ran straight into the crashing waves

once set to sea
Nancy bobbed next to me
asking 'is he really worth it?'

I answered between lungfuls of salty water
'why the fuck not?
what else better do I have to do on a Monday night?'

they found me a week later
clinging to a buoy covered in seagull shit
muttering 'Nancy, Nancy,
why did you leave me?'

as it turns out
my lovers never stick around for long
and bad ideas really do float

No comments:

Post a Comment