Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Poisoned Summer

what is this that clings to me
clear and sticky
honeyed poison
for honeyed eyes
face nestled in my breasts
sweat beading across my skin
the summer is my poison
so pretty
your hair in your face
you poison me with your fingertips
you desire me
until better things come along
I am the burden
put me out to graze
beastly to look at
crazy to feel
locked away inside my own brain
begging for love
begging for soap to copy the keys
food is poisoned
but I am not sure which plates are safe
I am fumbling
with my own skin
tripping down
off of high horse
and glass buildings
I see myself
in every reflection
unsure of what side of the glass I am on
unsure of what side of your eyes I am on
the arrows embedded in my side
are poison tipped
and growing over
in rough red scars
shove your fingers in the holes
feel for bits of steel left behind
by your hardened words
your forgetfulness
that I was here
waiting for you to find me
waiting
for the poison
to take me down to my knees
I have nothing to give you
no poison left on my lips
no kiss dying under my eyes
I gave you all the pieces of my heart
to glue back together
you swept them under the rug
placed them in a box under your bed
you'll find that box full of dead rats
the next time you look
as each glistening jewelled fragment
was poisoned long before
you got here
and I died under the weight
a thousand fists ago

No comments:

Post a Comment