Friday, June 12, 2015

Apocalypse Right Now

I sat in quiet contemplation
of the futility of human existance
our great weapons
pointed right down our throats
a brand new way
to kill ourselves

when I moved to the city
I lost the stars
so I couldn't watch dead light
invade my eyes
I had to meditate to
dull grey walls
and rain beating down
on broken sidewalks

sometimes,
just sometimes,
cities empty out
all the people leave
the windows are boarded up
the buildings crumble
a church of pointlessness
a shrine to vanity

no stars shine
up from under those broken skulls
empty eyes
walk the road to Hell
holding hands
shaking in the face
of an Angry god
called Pointlessness

clasp your hands
try to convince me that this is better
that you have the fucking answers
just under your fucking tongue
you are just as desolate
but somehow you convinced yourself
that you were still alive

I want you to know
I saw how you die
I saw just how fucking stupid you are
tin men all lined up
under the great firing sky
burning in the name of peace
I saw how you die
and licked my lips
at the thought of it

in sickness
I know the answers
closer in pain
to the reality
of our ineffectiveness
sold to the raw deal
convinced of their importace
but we are a gutter
for all things in us perish
God lives and he hates you
the world coughs up black clouds
and chews us down
with blood red teeth

and will be reborn
without us
to get in the way


No comments:

Post a Comment