Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Moss

bowing lupine
each little floral eye
blinking at me in the breeze

moss underfoot
so soft like the floor of the world
is carpeted in green

near this clear stream
a black dog ducking through the underbrush
quickly leaping the fence

races for me
he lulls his tongue at me
and buries his head in my lap

the fir boughs
dappling the sun
in the arms of this crooked tree
growing for the sky

my secret forest
behind the public park
the trail hidden by brambling bushes

my secret tree
each trail navigated barefoot
knee deep in the cool creek

I stretch my arms out
feel the wind ease past me
these forests grow within me

black dog with blackest eyes
ruff of fur under my hand
my thick thighs and young flesh
scratches from the wild roses

and each thorn grows in my heart
each branch broken by bent passing
that black tail disappearing into the bushes

all a fading youth
in eyes of concrete gray
and northern stars on my shoulder

when they finally find me
I'll tell them
I just want to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment